Wednesday 23 November 2011

Bouncing Ball Movie Trailer (Week 10)




Artist Statement

Nem Stankovic

My trailer is a very simple animation for a short film I saw a long time ago. In high school I randomly watched a short film about a bouncing ball that travelled through a city of geometric shapes and was scrutinized for being a ball. I thought it would be a comical idea to incorporate a ball that is bouncing across the screen in slow motion along with bouncy letters that wiggle and move with the same theme.

I initially wanted to create a basketball bouncing across the screen and then have it explode into the words “Space Jam” to do a trailer for that film. This was too difficult because every time I tried to do the explosion it would not work properly. The lighting and 3D aspects of the explosion kept messing up and I had no idea how to make the explosion turn into the words.

I then decided to just create the bouncing ball and bouncy letters. I watched a few tutorials on how to make the ball bounce and squish when it hits the ground, and make the words “bounce” when they come in. I downloaded a couple expression codes which are basically shortcuts for animations you paste into a layer and they create specific animations like the wobble/bounce of the letters when they swing in. This initially created the biggest problem for me because when I tried to render there would be an “error” sign that stated that it could not render because of the expression code. I then played with the aspects and ratios of the expression codes for hours and eventually it was able to render. I then added Jay-Z’s song “The Bounce” that went along with the video and it worked!

A very random film that I doubt anyone has seen or remembers, but I figured out how to make my problems into advantages.


No comments:

Post a Comment